Over the last few years, we have made some significant enhancements to our benefits programs and have added advanced benefit tools and resources. We transitioned to a new recordkeeper, which included moving to a new Northrop Grumman Benefits Center (NGBC) and to a new and enhanced transactional website – My Benefits Access. In addition, we have added access to the Free & Clear tobacco cessation program and Best Doctors.
Significant progress has been made in how we deliver benefits, which has also resulted in improved customer service.
- The My Benefits Access website has everything you need — from carrier links to detailed health plan comparison charts to retirement plan modeling tools.* The site is available 24 hours a day and allows you to easily enroll in your benefit options, change your Savings Plan contribution rate or investment funds, update dependent information, and designate your beneficiary(ies).
- The NGBC is a service center staffed by specially trained representatives who can assist with all of your benefits-related questions and transactions. Benefits service representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern time, excluding holidays. If you are hearing impaired, you will need to use a relay service through your TTY/TDD service provider.
We are committed to providing the best customer service for our plan participants; therefore, we partnered with an outside research company to survey participants on a quarterly basis who have called the NGBC. Below you will find a summary of our recent survey results which reflect participant’s interactions with the NGBC representatives.
- 93% of those surveyed were satisfied overall
- 90% felt the NGBC representative gave them confidence their needs were taken care of
- 92% felt the NGBC representative was knowledgeable
- 97% felt the NGBC representative was courteous and listened to their concerns
You may be interested to know that each month . . .
- The NGBC
- Receives over 38,000 calls.
- The NGBC and My Benefits Access are utilized to process:
- Approximately 68,000 benefits transactions
- Over 1,000 pension kits for those who are retiring
Update on our additional benefits programs – Free & Clear tobacco cessation program and Best Doctors to help with your medical diagnosis and treatment plan. These programs are available to Northrop Grumman employees and their covered dependents enrolled in a Northrop Grumman Health Plan medical option. Below are some year-to-date statistics of the programs.
Free & Clear
- 75 new participants for the month of July totaling 1222
- 66 new weight management participants in July totaling 687
- 7.7% report having asthma
- 5.5% report having diabetes
- 80% participants are employees
- 334 eligible participants have called Best Doctors
- Cases worked by Best Doctors resulted in a change of diagnosis of 10% and a treatment change of 52%
- Participants have requested 222 physician referrals
- Effective October 1, active employees, termed vested and retirees who participate in a pension plan with a contributory component (see list below), will now have the ability to designate a beneficiary via My Benefits Access for their employee contributions portion of your pension plan both active and historical benefits. Plans impacted:
- Ingalls Shipbuilding, Inc. Hourly Employees’ Retirement Plan and Ingalls Shipbuilding, Inc. Salaried Employees Retirement Plan
- Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems Union Represented Employees Pension Plan and Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems Pension Plan
- Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems - Space Division Salaried Employees’ Pension Plan (Aerojet) and
- Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems - Space Division Union Employees’ Pension Plan (Aerojet)
- Northrop Grumman Retirement Plan “B” (formerly Litton Retirement Plan “B”)
- Northrop Grumman Retirement Plan - Rolling Meadows Site
- Wilcox Hourly Retirement Plan
Note: this functionality is already available for the Northrop Grumman Financial Security and Savings Program and Avondale ESOP plans under the Savings Plan beneficiary designations.
Please be sure to review and update your beneficiary information so your benefits will be paid to your beneficiaries in the event of your death.
- My Benefits Access Updates
- New look and enhanced online features
- Online tutorials
- Global navigation making it easier and more intuitive to find information
- New Retirement Summary will display key Retirement (pension and savings) information to get a high level overview of retirement benefits.
- New Contribution Option: Roth 401(k)
Beginning January 1, 2010 the Northrop Grumman Savings Plan will offer active participants a new way to contribute to the plan, through Roth 401(k) contributions.
- Roth 401(k) contributions are made on an after-tax basis, but are treated like before-tax contributions in almost every other way. For example, they are subject to the same distribution restrictions and contribution limits as before-tax contributions. Roth 401(k) contributions offer several advantages, including tax-free distribution of contributions and earnings when you retire, provided the account and distribution both meet the qualification requirements.
More information about the new Roth 401(k) will be provided in December 2009.
*Online access to pension information - Update
We are continuing to enable access to online pension information and retirement planning tools for additional groups of active employees, including transfers, rehires, and those who have been on a leave of absence or have a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO), as well as those with multiple heritage plan benefits (meaning they have participated in more than one Northrop Grumman pension plan).We recognize that some participants have been waiting a while to use the online calculator and we appreciate your patience while we resolve remaining data issues to allow online functionality.